Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The White Rabbit Truck


At the food truck festival last week my fifth and final truck was the White Rabbit Truck. I was wondering to myself "Why does this name sound familiar". Well, when I got home and looked I realized that it happened to be a list item brought to you by Outrageous Food on the Food Network. The list item was the burrito and I am a little sad that I did not get it but, oh well, next time. Take a look at the menu below, pretty simple but pretty awesome.

I had a conversation with the nice girl at the register and she told me that her favorite was the Pork Sisig. With that recommendation I ordered the three sisig tacos but to my delight she told me that I could mix and match. Oh glory day! So, not only did I get the Pork Sisig (Below left), I ordered the Pork Tocino (Below center) and the Chicken Adobo (Below right). Though I am sad that I did not try the burrito I now get to talk about three of the items on this menu.



Let's start with the Pork Sisig. This was fried pork belly mixed with jalapenos and onions topped with a red cabbage slaw. The pork belly took on this beautiful red color and mixed so well with the jalapenos. A little spicy and full of huge flavor. The cabbage was crunchy and cold which mixed well with the richness of the pork belly. Truly a great taco but oddly not my favorite.

The second taco I tried was the chicken adobo because I wanted to break up the pork. Honestly, I was not expecting much from a chicken taco but boy was I wrong. The chicken was soft and super juicy which surprised me and it was both sweet and savory at the same time. Mmmm to adobo sauce! Just like the last taco the slaw added a cool crunch that really completed the ensemble. I was really pleased with this chicken and would eat that one again but, it too, was not my favorite.

The winner beyond a shadow of a doubt was the Pork Tacino which was cured pork, fried and wrapped in a taco all by itself. This was a truly bold presentation but if you read my other posts I believe that if you use high quality meat and cook it in an amazing way you really don't need anything else added to it. With this pork the White Rabbit Truck did just that. It was perfectly fried and super crispy and I got a burst of fried pork flavor with each individual bite. I was content just eating the pork with my fingers, even the taco shell took away from the pork itself. I really think that if they added anything to the dish it would have ruined it so I commend them with leaving it unaided. I even regretted adding siracha, but I guess I have to live with that. By far the best of the three and without a doubt the best thing I ate all day.

In my book the White Rabbit truck was definitely a winner and I am glad I got to taste three of their meat selections; each great in its own way with the Tacino edging out the pack. Next time I am in LA I will track it down and try the burrito and I suggest you do the same. For a food truck with to real ambiance to judge I give this a top rating and would not hesitate to recommend it to others. One cool thing to note is that they have a restaurant too so you can order quick from a truck or sit down and have a meal. Either way, I bet you will not be disappointed.

Overall Rating 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment